Want more Fall?
So as a belly dancer and user of tumblr I often find the words “cultural appropriation” pop up. And you know what? That is downright the single-most overused phrase on here. Besides #ican’teven. That shits everywhere. But really, I see this EVERYWHERE. Dread pictures, mohawks, cosplaying as a black character, belly dancing??? Do even half of you know what it means? Like really know?
I’ll give you some examples of what people could consider CA
So before I go off on my rant, I just want you to know, gentle reader that I know good and well about what a lot of people consider CA.
And here is why belly dance isn’t cultural appropriation when I do it.
”You obviously have NO IDEA where belly dance comes from then.
So let me sit you down, and enlighten the Hell out of you.
Way way waaay back when (we’re talking thousands here) women of tribes and villages in the Mediterranean, would get together at the time of a local girl getting her menzies. No boys were allowed, but basically these girls would all get together to throw this large fiesta to celebrate the coming of a girls metamorphosis into a women. They would dance and sing and drum n’ shit and it was all good.
But as time went on men would gradually be included, even those to be considered women (gay guys). They couldn’t celebrate the years of flowing blood to come, but rather their sensuality and prowess as a new woman.
Then even after that, as the world of mercantilism grew larger people would come to watch these parties that included these special dances. Outsiders were allowed to watch these dances and became enchanted by these cool new moves they hadn’t seen back home. Women would later go on to perform in red light district “bars”, harems, and places of prostitution. Men viewed the dances as very sensual, exotic, and like nothing they’d ever seen before.
There have even been records of Grecian lords arriving home with the new courtesan. Except it was a man who had learned the art.
As the years go by and humans evolve, it becomes more of a dance and less of a ritual, adding fans, zyls, scarves, swords, animals, torches, ect. Egyptian harems brim with dancers, bazaars have performers and before you know it all these women have one thing in common, from Egypt to Palestine, from India to Rome. They have learned a dance that came from the very existence of being a woman. That you are celebrating merely because you are fertile, you are sexy, and you gon’ bear them chillun.
I’ve studied belly dancing for many years now. It’s a passion of mine. And when someone says that it’s not self-empowering, re-igniting my passion, or helping me to discover myself, I can’t help but look at them and feel sorry. Because I am empowered being able to stand on one leg, sword on my head, snake wrapped around my arm, undulating my stomach. I’ve got skills, coordination, balance, and lack of fear that that snake isn’t going to have enough of posing and strike at me any minute. I am re-igniting my passion because through dancing and learning new isolations, undulations, rhythms, and honing my balance, I can not only go for days in the bedroom, but I can anywhere else as well. And my man LOVES to see my toned body naked anytime. As for discovering myself, man, that’s the thing that belly dance has taught me the most. I’ve discovered a love so deep for a dance, with history and culture so rich, I could almost choke. I’m going to school for entrepreneurship so I can learn how to open my own belly dance studio.
Think of all the ballet dancers who get to dance for a living. No, they probably don’t think that ballet helped them discover themselves at alllll /sarcasm. I love to dance. I love to belly dance. It’s fun; it can be upbeat, it can be slow. It can be sensual, it can be angry, happy, mysterious, colorful, one person can do it on stage, fifty people can! It’s not racist, you can be fat, old, skinny, young, tall, short, you can even be a man.
Please don’t think that just because you can assume about something, doesn’t mean that you are right. There is more to it than meets the eye. Next time, don’t assume that just because you see a white girl, Starbucks in hand, in yoga pants and zumba shirt, teaching a class, don’t assume that she doesn’t know. Because maybe she just spent the last few years of her life studying and investing to open that studio, and spread the love of belly dance to interested people in her area. <3”
So that is the rant. If you’re still interested in flaming my inbox with hate mail or reblogging this with “omg she’s such a privileged white girl she doesn’t even know!!!111one” just take breath, step back a minute, and think hey. Maybe my life exists because at one point I was just a clump of amoebas trying to become one large organism in the primordial goop. And if me suggesting you even dare think about the idea of evolution just deepens your hate for me, go read thiiiiiis…
If that still doesn’t cool your jets then sit there and look at this gif until you blow up out of rage
Then go take a prozac and have a nice day.
Night Scene of Kitano Shrine
By: Takeji Asano
I laughed super hard
Agreed! But definitely Walker, cuz I mean hay, she’s a spy AND she’s straight up gangster.
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Ahh yes, The dreaded school. When it comes around we all dread, new teachers, new schedule, some new unfamiliar faces, the MASSIVE amount of homework load, less time on tumblr. Here is another long post with a few sites and others to help you out here!
- Advice on college
- Alternatives to buying expensive textbooks
- AP Cram Packets
- Cheat sheet for becoming an adult
- Dorm room survival
- Free online college classes
- How to survive college masterpost
- cheap & healthy snacks
- chocolate muffin in a mug tutorial
- Coffee recipes to help stay awake
- Every Starbucks drink and pasty FTW
- For the vegans
you bad ass motherfuckers
- macaroni cheese / mac&cheese in a cup
- quick and easy soup recipes
- study snacks
- Study snack
- thousands of quick and easy snack recipes
- Yummy cheesiness!
- 40 on-the-go breakfast recipesHelpful sites:
- Challenge your brain
- Feed the hungry while using your vocabulary
- Free online textbooks
- Grade calculator
- Rape Escape
- Whole page dedicated to studying/organizing
High school needs:
- For Juniors or Seniors With Low Income Families Looking For Scholarships
- How to survive freshman year
Mental health resources:
- a website that is always relevant.
- falling asleep tips
- How long to sleep
- how to talk to and help an anxiety-ridden friend
- how to wake up in the morning
- keep taking your mind off of it
- mental illness recovery tips
- need a motivational speech? i like this one for myself.
- not having a good day? :c
- picking up a hobby can relax you during the school year!!
- seriously just please try to relax ily
- take your mind off of it
- tips on self-love
- when to go to sleep/wake up
- working out is a total stress-buster.
- download free books
- express yourself with make-up
- Hobbies masterpost
- I fucking love to study to this.
- please remember this.
- Sick ass movie list
I have more but, this is a school one so message me for more.
- Sites to help you not get distracted with other sites. (Mac)(PC)
- Various ways to where a scarf
- What’s the fucking weather
- calm/nature sounds
- chill playlist
- coffee shop blues
- coffee shop sounds
- concentration playlist
- study playlist
- 4hours of classical music
- An already typed essay at your fingertips(type the subject and press random stuff and an essay forms. TO KIND OF HELP)
- bibliography maker
- educational links fucking galore
- my favorite tutoring website
- online ruler
- pull an all nighter but do well on your exam
- Social media citing
- study like a college kid
- Time Management
- Psychology Lectures by a Professor from Yale University
- compliments generator
- how long to nap
- go to a quiet place
- learn more about anxiety.
- panic and anxiety information masterpost
- Relaxation techniques
- Stress Analyst
- the thoughts room
- take a guided relaxation
- yoga poses
- Best place to get help for English
- essay structure guide
- essay writing help
- free microsoft word alternative
- Grammar and spell checker
- Graphic Essay Organizer
- Help on reading/researching
- Make a kick ass essay
- Masterpost of writing software
- microsoft word equivalent
- more essay writing help
- On books you you don’t want to read
- Tip of my tongue
- calculators (includes graphing, geometric, stats etc)
- College/high school Chemistry notes
- math problem solver (2)
- Periodic Table
- This is the math god
- Answers to the textbook
- Beneficial studying tips
- Crash course in any subject with John Green
- Free Educational resources for anyone and everyone
- help in a ton of subjects
- Helps you in any subject
- homework help
- how to google
- how to study, Study guide
- finals survival guide
- improve your studying skills
- Learning Websites Masterpage
- Looking for a word
- make flash cards
- One of the best learning websites
- Tips before/during an exam
- Tips on Exams
- Remember that today’s day in age is different from how it was back then. So don’t stress about school too much.High school students today have the anxiety of what a mental patient in the insane asylum had in the 50s. Here’s also a thing to show how times have changed.
- Prioritize. List what needs to get done first and when. Sometimes getting the bigger/harder tasks is easier than conquering the smaller/easier tasks.
- Set times when certain projects need to be done and stick to that deadline.
- Turn your phone off or give it to your parents while doing work/studying. I know that we live in the age of technology and literally everything is at the touch of our fingertips. Honestly though you can wait on what your favorite celebrity has to say or if your crush liked your instagram photo. You’ll be more involved in that than you are into your work.
- If you have trouble in a certain subject and there is no assigned seating, take advantage of the front. I guarantee you’ll learn more.
- Ask your teacher what exactly you’ll need to know. If you’re taking notes during the year, write in the margins whether or not it will be tested. It will be easier to know what you will be tested on.
- Save your exams. Half the time your teachers use the same questions (or questions similar) from your exams on your midterms or finals.
- Don’t try to do homework straight afterschool if you can’t, despite what everyone says. Give yourself an hour, and try to get some exercise in. I find it stops me getting bored of sitting down. Not to mention helps me concentrate better.
- Don’t just read the material, write it, draw it, recite it, quiz yourself on it! Until you have the material down.
- Join clubs, sports, or organizations! You’re guaranteed to find friends in there. You’ll already have common interests. Start with that and go with the flow.
- College kids: If you don’t have assigned seating, and you have been sitting in the same seat for 2 weeks. That is you assigned seat now. Don’t move or you’ll screw everyone up and they will hate you.
- Color code things, such as your notes.
If you want to see how I color code my notes message me and I’ll be happy to show you.
- Be kind to one another.
I think that about does it. So yeah:)
Stepping into the pub Joben Bistro is like entering an unbelievable steampunk fantasy. Located in Cluj-Napoca, Romania, the unique pub was designed by the studio 6th Sense to look like a space pulled straight from the pages of a Jules Verne or H.G. Wells novel.
"Some women are lost in the fire. Some women are built from it."
Reblogging for the Sarah gif. Omg.
Guys, this is a VERY VERY close family friend’s son, Cory Beck, he’s thirteen and ran away from home after a dirty drug test. He was found yesterday night at nine but around 2 am ran off again since his parents had fallen asleep. Cory lives in Corvallis, Oregon. He was last seen barefoot wearing a black shirt and blue jeans, leaving 700 block of Laurel with two female friends his age.Please contact me on here if you have any information, thank you.
PLEASE SPREAD THE HELL OUT OF THIS GUYS HIS PARENTS ARE VERY WORRIED AS AM I AND HUNDREDS OF OUR FAMILY MEMBERS.
Seriously guys, this boy is a good kid. Please spread this around, everyone’s so worried about him.
Please guys, he’s only thirteen and his family and my family are so worried.
He’s 5”5, 125lbs and was last seen near the Pomeroy dam in CaveJuction.
Please guys, before you skip over this put yourself in our position.
HOKAY. WHERE TO START CUZ…HOOOOOMAH GERRRRD.
gljsgl;ejsge;jreso;j;jasdfhsafasklf;j; THIS MOVIE IS THE BEST THING THIS YEAR.
Firstly, feels, feels, everywhere. I cried two times. That’s a feat. I only cry for Titanic and Tron: Legacy and Brave. Das’ it mang. BUT TWO TIMES. Could have been three but ho bitches to the right of us kept talking through the death scene of an important character.
And I have a hard core ship to set off on. Though the ship sank quickly after setting sail and bursting into flames. Literally. Like, the scene between the two characters just gives me chills even now typing this. And before you ask, no it’s nothing with Hiccup and Gackstrid. I’d rather spontaneously combust than watch them share another peck on the cheek. Like. No.
HILARIOUS HILARIOUS FUNNY AND HILARIOUS. The only time I didn’t have a shit-eating, ear to ear grin on my face was when I was crying or fainting. The jokes actually made me laugh! The most some movies get out of me (especially if I go to see it in theaters) is some air blowing from my nose, a little faster paced than breathing. I don’t ever full on belly laugh, let alone snort. Also. I DIDN’T THINK THEY COULD MAKE TOOTHLESS ANY CUTER BUT THEY DID AND MY BRAIN MELTED AND MY EYEBALLS WERE BURNED FROM THE SHEER AMOUNT OF GLORY THAT IS TOOTHLESS. Especially….ESPECIALLY at the end.
Lastly, the animation.
I don’t think I’ve seen an animated movie with this much detail, this much sheer effort and hard work put into such amazing, awe-inspiring, and breath taking scenes, that absolutely blow your mind. The water, the snow, the ice, the grass, the FACES, THE CLOTHES, THE TEXTURES, SCARS, EYES, TEARS, PORES FOR CHRIST’S SAKE. Dreamworks boasted and talked the talk. Boy did they ever walk the walk. I’m in love with this movie and honestly, wasn’t expecting that much from it. I was excited yes, CAUSE DRAGONS, but this movie gave me a million and thirty reasons to go back and see it for a second time tonight. So, bai. Im go cri nao.
LITERALLY CHANGE MY LIFE
I HITE PLAY AND LITERALLY HIT REBLOG RIGHT AWAY.